Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Healthier Crock Pot Lasagna


Last week I went to a luncheon where they were serving lasagna, of course i piled my plate with salad and grilled chicken but just had to have a taste of the lasagna ;o) I haven't had it in ages. I only had 3 bites, it was enough to satisfy but got me thinking....my family would love some lasagna as would I (a girl can only eat so much chicken) how can i make it healthier and quick. Here's what I came out with! It was delicious and I can tell you my taste buds and my  family has thanked me....;o
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 12 ounces cottage cheese (I like 2%)
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup lowfat sharp cheddar cheese
  • 12 ounces whole grain lasagna noodles, uncooked  
  • 16 ounces shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese

Directions:


  1. Brown  ground turkey, onion and garlic in frypan.
  2. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
  3. Cook long enough to get it warm.
  4. Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
  5. Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
  6. Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
  7. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.


1 comment: