Last week I went to a luncheon where they were serving lasagna, of course i piled my plate with salad and grilled chicken but just had to have a taste of the lasagna ;o) I haven't had it in ages. I only had 3 bites, it was enough to satisfy but got me thinking....my family would love some lasagna as would I (a girl can only eat so much chicken) how can i make it healthier and quick. Here's what I came out with! It was delicious and I can tell you my taste buds and my family has thanked me....;o
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces cottage cheese (I like 2%)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup lowfat sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces whole grain lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 16 ounces shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground turkey, onion and garlic in frypan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
- Cook long enough to get it warm.
- Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
- Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.